Saturday, January 23, 2010

Heroes of Faith

There is no question. Life is full of challenges. Every person at some time in their life can stand up and tell a testimony of something that challenged them. Everything from early childhood challenges: difficulty finding a friend, not fitting in with the circle of friends at school. Perhaps your challenge was passing that math exam, deciding what course you would take in college or university, lost jobs, broken relationships or sickness. The list is endless. We overcome one challenge, learn from the experience and then we are on to the next challenge. For the Christians we seek our guidance from God. We pray for His help in times of trouble. We pray for a resolution to our problems. We don’t always get an answer to that prayer in the way we would like or hope.

One morning I was praying. People were brought to my mind; one name after the other of people who needed physical healing. Days leading up to this prayer, I had suffered a sore foot. It hurt to put my foot on the ground to walk. I was hobbling around and feeling somewhat crippled. This aching pain hurt so much my entire body ached. For a few days I persevered going to work, grinding my teeth with the pain.

While I was praying, I was reminded of my pain which then reminded me of other people who have suffered for years with arthritic pain. Others suffering with cancer and treatments and pain. My list grew and grew the longer I prayed. My heart went out to these people. In a small way I could relate to them because of my foot. I couldn’t imagine living with this pain everyday for the rest of my life. That could be forty years or more. When I thought about these people, I remembered seeing some of them go up to the alter Sunday after Sunday for prayer. Each time hoping and praying for a Jesus miracle. When I thought about this it made me question God. “What difference does it make if I pray for these people? Do I have enough faith? Ultimately God, you are the one who can heal them if you wanted to, just like that. God you created everything. Everyday I witness your power and realize how great you are. Why don’t you heal these people who ask you week after week for your healing touch?”

My inquisitive and rebellious nature tried to excuse my questioning God. Who am I to question the maker of heaven and earth the creator of every existing creature that ever walked the earth? In my defense I related to God as my Heavenly Father by saying to him. “I hope that my questioning did not offend you God. Since we have a relationship I think it would be healthy to communicate. So if you could please answer my questions. I know others have these same questions. Probably those people who go up for healing every time there is an alter call. I can see how people who don’t have a relationship with Christ can become cynical about there being a God, when they see loved ones dying or suffering with illness. For Christians we have faith that you God will somehow hear and answer our prayer. I would like to know why”?
While I was having this conversation with God the Christian radio was playing and there was a preacher giving a sermon. I was just in a mood of boldness or perhaps stupidity. I really wanted to hear what God had to say to me. I asked him for his understanding. I was specific in my request and said to God that I wanted to hear his voice not hear it from the radio. Closing off my prayer to God I went on with my day. I took my dog for a walk to my own secret garden. This place is in the property behind our house. I walked through the over grown trees that lay beside the path. Please walk with me as I recall this experience. I swat a couple of mosquitoes. A few drops of water fall from the branches, heavy from the rain of the previous night. Before me is the path that curves through the field of wild flowers. I look at it and think this is God’s perfect garden that he made. I am privileged to see it. It makes one breathless with awe to look at it. The wild grass is long with golden tassels. It looks like God sprinkled Queens Anne lace and brown eyed Susie’s amongst the grass. I go out there each day. Everyday I see the beauty of God’s creation new and fresh.

This day I almost cried with the awe of it all. I went back in the house after the walk and sat down in front of my laptop. The message on the radio was ending. My ears tuned in for the ending and listened as the preacher said, “The voice of truth says this is for my glory. The voice of truth is God. Whatever we go through is for his glory. We as Christians know the truth that leads to eternity. We have the hope of eternity that is why we persevere now.”

Well, I smiled and even chuckled inside. There was my answer like it or not. It is a pretty simple answer for a pretty simple person. God is not going to yell in a loud voice a deafening answer in my eardrum. He does answer our questions. In fact the disciples asked Jesus questions all the time. Sometimes he answered with a parable, sometimes with a rebuke. He answered and explained many of their questions to also teach us. Many of those questions are in the bible. We are not going to get hit over the head for asking Him questions. God wants us to talk to him. If we are alert and open to receive God, he does speak to us in many diverse ways.

He spoke to me out in the field. His love and his beauty were evident to me; in the whisper of the wind, through the song of the birds. His message is also through other people, sometimes it is in our thoughts. God definitely speaks to us through the word of truth. I’m reminded of scripture from the book of Hebrews. Sometimes we think that God does not answer our prayers because we do not have enough faith. Hebrews chapter 11 gives us examples of faith. The faith of Abel, Enoch, Noah, Abraham and Moses proved to show many miracles of God come to pass. If we read on in the book of Hebrews 11:32-39 we are told of many others who all had faith: Gideon, Samson, David, Samuel and on and on the list could go. Some of these great heroes of faith faced jeers and flogging, others endured prison and chains. Some were stoned and others sawed in two or they were put to death by the sword. John wore sheep skins and was beheaded. The bible says, “That the world was not worthy of them”. Hebrews 11:39 says, “These were all commended for their faith, yet none of them received what had been promised. God had planned something better for us so that only together with us would they be made perfect”.
The answer to my question is now clear. Sometimes God does heal people of their sicknesses. He does hear our prayers and he does answer them according to his glory. The final outcome will be perfection. Our sick bodies will someday be made perfect for eternity. Enduring through these challenges of life in this world now, we too will become heroes of faith. Praise be to God. The bible says that Jesus is the way, the truth and the life.

No comments:

Post a Comment